Call of Duty: Modern Warfare has reached new heights. Just as new content–including CoD 4 maps–is released for it, Activision announced that the game has reached $1 billion in revenue worldwide, with players collectively spending more than 500 million hours in the game’s multiplayer mode. In total, nearly 300 million matches have been played.
Modern Warfare has now surpassed every other Call of Duty this console generation in terms of hours played, hours per player, and average daily players over its first 50 days.
The current-generation Call of Duty games have included:
- Call of Duty: Ghosts (2013)
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (2014)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 (2015)
- Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (2016)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered (2016)
- Call of Duty: WWII (2017)
- and Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (2018)
Of note, Activision’s sell-through numbers for Modern Warfare include physical units sold at retail and digital copies, with performance accounted for by Activision’s estimates and other data.
Modern Warfare’s development was a massive undertaking. Development was led by Infinity Ward, which created the Modern Warfare sub-brand, with other Activision-owned studios contributing as well, including Beenox, High Moon Studios, Raven Software, Sledgehammer Games, and Activision Shanghai.
The first big Modern Warfare update kicked off earlier in December with the Season One update which introduced new DLC maps and modes, all of which are free.
Additionally, the new Fortnite-style Battle Pass–which costs $10 USD–is available now. It’s not immediately clear if Activision’s $1 billion sales estimate for Modern Warfare includes revenue from the Battle Pass and Modern Warfare’s other microtransactions. GameSpot has contacted Activision in an attempt to get more details.
Call of Duty News
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Jedi Fallen Order Headline Xbox One's Winter Sale
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Gets New Content This Week
- New Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare Update Out Now; Full Patch Notes Listed
- Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare's Microtransactions Are Up–Here's What You Can Buy
Source: Read Full Article