The annual VR Awards held its fourth event last week and like many during 2020 went entirely digital, hosting a unique show inside VRChat. With 13 categories covering the length and breadth of the XR industry, some winners were highly expected whilst others came as a bit more of a surprise.
Naturally, when it came to one of the biggest categories of the awards, the ‘VR Game of the Year’, there was a strong lineup of titles but the ever dominant Half-Life: Alyx by Valve was the judges favourite. Receiving universal praise since its launch in March, the sci-fi adventure is a must-play for any VR fan, with Valve recently releasing the Developer Commentary.
Valve also struck gold with its Index headset, winning the ‘VR Hardware of the Year’ category. When it came to the ‘VR Experience of the Year’ Tender Claws’ The Under Presents succeeded with its innovative theatrical title, while FundamentalVR won ‘VR Healthcare of the Year’ for the second year in a row.
“Despite the constraints that COVID-19 has presented, it is evident that innovation and progress in delivering virtual reality to all has not been hindered – in fact it’s use has risen and been applied in an astonishing array of manners – from keeping people connected to training redeployed medical professionals to save lives,” said Daniel Colaianni, AIXR CEO in a statement.
VR Awards 2020 Winners
- VR Film of the Year – Myth: A Frozen Tale – Walt Disney Animation
- VR Social Influencer – ThrillSeeker
- VR Hardware of the Year – Valve Index
- VR Game of the Year – Half-Life: Alyx – Valve
- VR Experience of the Year – The Under Presents – Tender Claws
- VR Marketing of the Year – Virtual Market 4 – HIKKY Co., LTD.
- Rising VR Company of the Year – KLIP VR Immersive Technologies Private Limited
- Innovative VR Company of the Year – Qualcomm
- VR Education and Training of the Year – MEL Chemistry – MEL Science
- VR Healthcare of the Year – Fundamental Surgery @HomeVR modality – Fundamental VR
- Out-of-home VR Entertainment of the Year – Avengers: Damage Control – ILMxLAB & The VOID
- VR Social Impact Award – Alcove – AARP Innovation Labs
- VR Enterprise Solution of the Year – BRP-Rotax VR Job Assessment – MEDIASQUAD GmbH
- VR Lifetime Achievement Award by Accenture – Cher Wang, Founder, HTC
Organised by The Academy of International Extended Reality (AIXR), for the latest updates on future VR Awards, keep reading VRFocus.
Source: Read Full Article