One of the most initially confusing aspects of New Pokemon Snap is its star ratings system, particularly the elusive four star photos that are considered to be perfect shots by Professor Mirror. These photos don’t even necessarily need to earn high scores – they just need to capture unique behaviour.
There are over 200 Pokemon in New Pokemon Snap, which means getting a four star photo of every single one is no easy feat. Fortunately, we’ve been playing tons of New Pokemon Snap and have sussed out how to get a four star photo of every Pokemon in the game.
Here’s how to get a four star photo of every Pokemon in New Pokemon Snap. This guide is separated into sections representing each of the Lental region’s individual areas to make it easier for you to find what you’re looking for.
How To Take A Four Star Photo Of Every Pokemon In Florio Nature Park
- When you spawn into Florio Nature Park (Day), give Dodrio a fluffruit.
- It will throw it up into the air for its middle head – snap this in action and you should get a four star shot.
- Alternatively, throw an Illumina orb at a standing Dodrio in Florio Nature Park (Night) and snap it when it jumps into the air and appears to fly for a very brief window.
- Throw an Illumina orb at the Bouffalant in the meadow at the end of Florio Nature Park (Day), which is the one with flowers on its head.
- When it stands up, snap a photo with the Illumina effect still active.
- Alternatively, use Illumina orbs on two Bouffalant at the beginning of the map on your right.
- After they stand up, wait for them to interact with one another by fighting. Take a picture of them while they are locking horns for a four star photo.
- In Florio Nature Park (Night), throw a fluffruit at a sleeping Torterra.
- When it opens its eyes, wait for it to yawn.
- Take a photo.
- Alternatively, take a photo of Torterra in the meadow at the end of the map. If it is with Scorbunny and Sylveon, there is a chance for this shot to be four stars, too.
- In Florio Nature Park (Night), feed the Pidgeot to your right after you spawn.
- Pidgeot will come back halfway through the map, on your left as you pass Bidoof’s dam (where Grookey, Pichu, and Shaymin are during the day). Feed it another fluffruit.
- Feeding it fluffruit on both of these occasions will cause it to fly down to you in the meadow.
- Hit it with an Illumina orb and take its photo when it walks up to you.
- In Florio Nature Park (Day), play a melody for Comfey.
- Take its photo while its dancing for a four star shot.
- Load Florio Nature Park (Day).
- At the end of the map, look at Florges in the meadow.
- Throw an Illumina orb at it.
- Take its photo while it conjures a gust of wind around itself.
- On Florio Nature Park (Day), look straight ahead when you turn the corner to your left after the forest with Wurmple in it.
- You should see a Ducklett flying in front of you, above where a group of Taillow are gathered in the center of the path leading to Bidoof’s dam.
- Snap Ducklett while it is flying.
- In Florio Nature Park (Night), throw a fluffruit to the first group of Murkrow on your right after you cross the stone bridge.
- Take a photo of Murkrow while it is eating. It doesn’t need to be extremely clear to earn four stars – as long as Murkrow is the subject and it’s eating, you’re fine.
- In Florio Nature Park (Night), go towards the sign before the meadows with Hoothoot on it.
- Play a melody and three Caterpie will crawl on top of the sign. Take their photo.
- If you take Grookey the whole way through the map by engaging with it on every occasion it appears, it should do a one-handed handstand in the meadow at the end provided you are at rank two or above. You need to be very quick to capture this.
- Alternatively, you can entice Grookey onto the sign at the start of the map by playing music. This will also award you a four star shot.
- If you bring it through the whole map, it will laugh in the meadows at the end. When it is lying down and laughing, take its photo for a four star shot.
- Altenrativley, go to the park at night and hit Scorbunny with an Illumina orb when it is standing on the sign to the right of the spawn. Take its photo when it kicks blue flames.
- After they finish their dam, throw a fluffruit through the hole in the top during the day or hit the Bidoof sleeping at the bottom at night in order to make it pop its head out the top of the dam.
- Take a photo for a four star shot.
- In Florio Nature Park (Night), a Tangrowth will be visible to the right hand side in the intro section.
- Hit it with an Illumina orb and snap it when it launches itself across the screen.
- This is very fast so we recommend not zooming in and spamming the snap button to make sure you get a shot with Tangrowth as the subject in the frame.
How To Take A Four Star Photo Of Every Pokemon In Founja Jungle
- In Founja Jungle (Day), make your way to the final area of the map, right where the waterfall is.
- Watch Quagsire and wait for it to jump into the water.
- Take a photo of it while it is still in mid air.
- In Founja Jungle (Day), keep an eye out for Pikipek’s nest hole in a tree.
- This will be pointed out as a scannable prompt from rank two.
- Throw a fluffruit into the hole. This is just before you move towards the ancient ruins, on your left after the swamp with Quagsire (or Swampert at night time).
- Snap Pikipek as it flies out of the hole with the fluffruit in its talons.
- This is a tough one. First you need to get Founja Jungle (Night) to rank two.
- Just before you reach the swamp, where Swampert is asleep underwater, throw a fluffruit at Leafeon when it stops to the right of some long grass.
- This unlocks the Founja Jungle alternate swamp route.
- Now reload Founja Jungle (Night) at rank one.
- Before the swamp, use the music player to cause Yanmega to fly towards the swamp.
- Go into the swamp and use Illumina orbs on the Ariados in front of you.
- Play the melody again immediately to bring Yanmega over.
- A third Ariados will come out of the forest to attack Yanmega.
- Illumina orb this Ariados but make sure you do not use an Illumina orb on Yanmega.
- Ariados will attack Yanmega. If you use an orb on Yanmega, Ariados will run away and you will miss your opportunity.
- Take a photo of Yanmega while it is being attacked by all three Ariados.
- The above scenario is also a four star shot opportunity for Ariados.
- Alternatively, wake the Ariados on its web to the left of the spawn point up.
- Take a shot of it as it attacks two Bounsweet and knocks them off the web for another four star shot.
How To Take A Four Star Photo Of Every Pokemon In Sweltering Sands
- Skorupi is one of the easiest four star photos in the game. In the Sweltering Sands (Day) level, simply wait for it to be swept up in the first sandstorm. This is in the area around the corner to the right of the spawn.
- Take a picture of Skorupi while it is flying around the sandstorm.
- At the end of Sweltering Sands (Day), take the left route at the junction. This is the original rank one route that ends with Trapinch, Hippowdon, and Pinsir instead of Onix.
- Watch Cacnea run around the Trapinch crater. It is chasing some sort of debris – snap it doing so and you’ll get a four star photo.
- Alternatively, snap the Cacnea flying through the air at the first sandstorm, near the Skorupi shot.
- Minior is an easy shot to take, but it’s difficult to explain. At the end of Sweltering Sands (Night) on the Onix side, make sure you snap Minior while it’s in the middle of the shot.
- If it’s surrounded by space dust and centered properly, this should theoretically always award a four star shot. Alternatively, try to get more than one Minior in the frame. This appears to be mostly about colour and composition.
- Load Sweltering Sands (Day) at rank two or three.
- Take the right route at the junction if playing rank three.
- Tyranitar will be right in front of you. Watch it until Lycanroc comes up and barks at it.
- When Lycanroc runs away, throw an Illumina orb at Tyranitar.
- This will make it smash the rock it is facing. Take a photo of it while it’s doing this.
- In Sweltering Sands (Day) at rank three, entice Torchic into getting on Hippowdon’s back.
- This is done in the pool in the middle of the map by luring Torchic to the water’s edge with fluffruit.
- If you Illumina Hippowdon, it should allow Torchic onto its back.
- Snapping Torchic on Hippowdon’s back is a Torchi four star shot, but snapping Hippowdon in this scenario is also four stars. Make sure to zoom out so you can switch subjects and take both shots.
- Get Sweltering Sands (Day) to rank three.
- Turn left at the junction so that you move towards the end location with Pinsir and Trapinch instead of Onix.
- On your left immediately after you go down the sand hill to the end location, you will see Heliolisk.
- Snap them when they fan out their frills at each other four a four star shot.
- Alternatively you can get the Heliolisk at the beginning of the map to fan out its frills while emitting electricity by hitting it with an Illumina orb, but only at rank three during the day.
- At the end of Sweltering Sands (Night) from rank two, you can get a four star shot of Flygon by taking the path to the left (where Pinsir is during the day, not Onix).
- In the crater where Trapinch usually is there will also be a Flygon.
- Wake it up with a fluffruit.
- When it flies up, hit it with an Illumina orb.
- Take a photo while it whizzes around the sky leaving a trail of multicoloured light behind it.
How To Take A Four Star Photo Of Every Pokemon In Blushing Beach
- Go to Blushing Beach (Day) at rank three.
- When you get to the junction, turn right.
- Machamp will be looking out to sea doing poses.
- Hit it with an Illumina orb and take its photograph as soon as it turns around to face you.
- In Blushing Beach (Day), look at the sleeping Exeggutor in the bushes Bellossom or Seviper are in depending on whether its day or night. respectively. This is to the left of the first beach area where you spawn.
- There will be a Crabrawler to the right of Exeggutor.
- Lure Crabrawler towards Exeggutor with fluffruit.
- When Crabrawler is close enough, it will punch Exeggutor.
- Take a photo of Exeggutor chasing Crabrawler for a four star snap.
- The above scenario is also a four star shot opportunity for Crabrawler.
How To Take A Four Star Photo Of Every Pokemon In Maricopia Reef
- Go to Maricopia Reef (Day) at rank two.
- At the beginning of the map, right after the spawn point, you’ll see a small school of Finneon.
- When they bolt in either direction, pay attention to the one in the middle that jumps up.
- Wingull will snatch the Finneon and fly off with it. Take a photo of Wingull with Finneon in its talons.
- At the end of Maricopia Reef (Day), you will see several Pelipper relaxing in the water.
- Look closely and you’ll see some Pelipper have Pyukumuku in their mouths.
- Hit Pelipper with a fluffruit and snap Pyukumuku as it is spat back into the water.
- Photographing Pelipper in the above scenario also awards a four star shot provided you get its full body in the frame.
- On Maricopia Reef (Day) from rank two onward, Sharpedo will start to chase Machamp.
- This is the Machamp on the rock after Wailord.
- Machamp will stop posing and jump in the water before swimming away from Sharpedo.
- It will stop just before the alternate route junction. Sharpedo will repeatedly jump in and out of the water behind it. Snap it while it’s doing this for a four star shot.
- After finishing the game, you will unlock Maricopia Reef (Evening).
- When you go past Primarina, who is on the rock where Machamp is during the day, you will get an environmental prompt. Scanning it will tell you something is beneath the water.
- Play a melody and take Vaporeon’s photo as it jumps up out of the water.
- In Maricopia Reef (Evening), throw an Illumina orb at the Wailord on the right hand side. Ignore the one directly in front of you.
- Take its photo when it shoots water out of its blowhole.
- Unlock the reef at night by finishing the main story.
- A Raichu will be asleep on your left shortly after you spawn.
- Wake it up, throw an Illumina orb at it, and play a melody to make it breakdance. Snap this action for a four star shot.
How To Take A Four Star Photo Of Every Pokemon In Lental Undersea
- In Lental Undersea from rank two, Cradily will spawn in the seaweed section where Lumineon, Finneon, and Luvdisc are.
- Hit it with a fluffruit to wake it up.
- Play a melody to make it dance.
- Take its photo, but not close up. Make sure you get its full body in the frame while it is dancing and capture it while its neck is extended to the side.
- In Lental Undersea at rank three, go to the ordinary end point. Don’t turn in at the Clawitzer boulder – continue towards the seaweed.
- At the end of the map, after the two Clawitzer have their fight, go up the vertical tunnel to the teleportation point.
- There will be several Frillish with Magikarp in their arms. Snap one of the Magikarp.
- In Lental Undersea at rank three, follow the ordinary route to the end. This is not the deep sea alternate route that leads to Lugia and Golisopod.
- In the cavern with Clawitzer and Qwilfish, wait for the two to fight.
- Throw a fluffruit at Qwilfish at this point to make it shoot spikes.
- In Lental Undersea, take the alternate route to the left after Clawitzer smashes the boulder. This requires rank three but is retroactively applied to earlier ranks after you initially unlock it.
- After you go through the cavern with Chinchou and Inkay, you will reach an open area with Wailmer.
- You will soon see a Sharpedo bothering a Lumineon and two Finneon. Hit the Crystabloom next to Lumineon with an Illumina orb.
- Lumineon will spin around in the pink light to scare off Sharpedo – take its photo when it does this.
- In the next part of the map after the section mentioned above, you will go through a tunnel towards the alternate route teleportation point with Golisopod.
- The tunnel is filled with several Lumineon.
- There are blue shells in the sand beneath you. Draw Lumineon over to one with fluffruit.
- Lumineon will dig up the shell with its fins, causing Clamperl to swim away. Take a photo of it while it’s swimming.
How To Take A Four Star Photo Of Every Pokemon In Fireflow Volcano
- In Fireflow Volcano, make your way to the lava ground before the volcano. This is the area where Tyrantrum chases a bunch of Archeops as Talonflame perches on a pillar to your left, right after the hill where three Graveler roll down.
- Throw a fluffruit in front of one of the Archeops.
- Snap it while it’s eating and after it’s finished for a four star shot.
- Load Fireflow Volcano at rank two.
- At the end of the map, throw fluffruit at the Typhlosion to make them run away.
- Aerodactly will now land at the bottom of the crater.
- Feed it a fluffruit and snap it while it is eating.
- Get Fireflow Volcano to rank two or higher.
- When you encounter Flareon in the blue magma chamber on the route to the right of the volcano (the one that leads to the chamber with two Typhlosion in it), feed it a fluffruit.
- Feed it a second fluffruit and it will burn it before eating it. Flareon will then stand up and use Flamethrower – take a photo to get a four star shot.
- Take the right route so you end up going through the blue magma chamber to the end location with Typhlosion.
- This can be tricky, as Typhlosion sometimes just runs away, but try to throw a fluffruit in front of it without hitting it.
- When it comes over to the fluffruit and conjures flames on its neck, you’re on the right track.
- It will use Flamethrower on the fluffruit – snap this action for a four star shot.
How To Take A Four Star Photo Of Every Pokemon In Elsewhere Forest
- In the standard Elsewhere Forest route at rank one, proceed through the first fog biome without pursuing any alternate routes.
- When you get to the next area, with Shiftry, Pancham, Unfezant, Bulbasaur, and Deerling, focus on the left hand side of the path.
- You will cross a small river before moving back to the fog. There will be an Unfezant in a nest to your left.
- Hit it with a fluffruit and snap it when it gets angry.
How To Take A Four Star Photo Of Every Pokemon In Shiver Snowfields
- Jynx will occasionally extend its hand to the right as if to point at something while looking at Vanilluxe in the cavern leading to the end of the map. This is a four star pose.
- Alternatively, you can get a much easier four star shot by taking the alternate routes in Shiver Snowfields.
- First, load into Shiver Snowfields (Day) at rank two or above and look to your left.
- Throw an Illumina orb at Alolan Sandslash, who will burrow underground.
- Keep looking to the left and use your scanner to spot Sandslash again. Throw another orb at it.
- This will unlock the first alternate route at the start of the hill Swinub is trying to climb.
- Now come back to Shiver Snowfields at night.
- Take the alternate route and hit Crabominable with an Illumina orb.
- When it dumps snow on Abomasnow, watch the snowstorm it conjures. A Froslass will emerge – take its photo.
- This will reveal a second alternate route.
- Hit the Jynx directly in front of you as you enter an all new area with an Illumina orb and take its photo when it blows you a kiss.
- In Shiver Snowfields (Night), take a photo of Mightyena howling on top of the hill where Skarmory usually is. This is in the middle section where a group of Mamoswine hang out during the day, after going up the hill Swinub is climbing.
- Alternatively take the first alternate route mentioned above at night time and a Mightyena will howl in front of you as soon as you go through the snowfall. This is also a four star shot opportunity.
- In Shiver Snowfields (Day), load rank three and make your way to the cavern before the normal end area.
- Glalie and Froslass will be on the left hand side of the cavern you go into after progressing through the middle section.
- Throw a fluffruit at Glalie and take a photo when it conjures ice armor.
How To Take A Four Star Photo Of Every Pokemon In Outaway Cave
- At rank two or above, look to your left as soon as you enter the middle section of Outaway Cave, where Croagunk and Clefairy are.
- You will see three Clefairy gathered around a Crystabloom.
- Hit the Crystabloom with an Illumina orb and Clefairy should start floating – take a photo of this for a four star shot.
- In the plant area at the end of the right route – where Vivillon, Noibat, and Carbink are – throw Illumina orbs at the Carbink on your right.
- There are four of them, all of whom will run out and dance for you if you hit them with Illumina orbs.
- The one I usually have the best luck with is the second one from the right. Snap it when it comes out and dances for you by spinning around.
How To Take A Four Star Photo Of Every Pokemon In Ruins Of Remembrance
- In the Ruins of Remembrance, make your way to the final chamber.
- After the fourth Illumina statue, you will see a Golurk. This is by the gold pillar and just before the Golurk blocking the pedestal.
- Snap the Natu perched on Golurk’s right shoulder.
- This doesn’t appear to always work at higher ranks, so load Ruins of Remembrance rank one.
- After the intro area, look straight ahead when you enter the cavern leading to the main chamber, where Salandit and Houndoom are.
- Throw an Illumina orb at Noivern and take its photo while it uses Boomburst.
- At rank two, Beheeyem can occasionally be found sleeping next to the Golurk with Natu on its shoulder, mentioned two Pokemon above.
- Take a photo of the resting Beheeyem for a four star shot.
- When you spawn, immediately use turbo to get through the narrow path at the beginning of the map. Turbo is unlocked after beating the main story and is used to speed up the NEO-ONE.
- In the first open area with Eldegoss, look at the sky. This is literally the start of the map, before you go down into the cavern.
- Golurk will fly over your head – take its photo for a four star shot.
- Get Umbreon to come out of hiding by using our Umbreon location guide.
- This will cause Umbreon to move further into the map. You can see it again next to the Golurk with the Natu sleeping on its shoulder.
- Wake Umbreon up by using Illumina orbs. This will cause it to get up and go over to have an interaction with Absol – take a photo of this.
- You can get a four star shot of Absol in the above interaction as well, so be sure to zoom out and take plenty of photos of both subjects to get four star shots for both Umbreon and Absol.
Next: New Pokemon Snap: Complete Guide And Walkthrough
- New Pokemon Snap
Cian Maher is the Lead Features Editor at TheGamer. He’s also had work published in The Guardian, The Washington Post, The Verge, Vice, Wired, and more. You can find him on Twitter @cianmaher0.
Source: Read Full Article