Tetris is dead (on mobile); long live Tetris.
A day after Electronic Arts announced that its Tetris games would disappear from the Android and iOS marketplaces, The Tetris Co. announced that its classic 35-year-old puzzler is now free to download on mobile devices via both the App Store and Google Play.
As it stands, N3twork’s Tetris is rather bare-bones compared to EA’s versions. It has one game mode and five different skins, where EA’s Tetris 2011 has three modes of play. Tetris 2011 also has two control schemes, where N3twork’s game has just one, which a news release called “intuitive swipe controls with haptic feedback built specifically for mobile devices.” An online leaderboard for Tetris will be coming soon.
“We’re launching Tetris with a traditional solo gameplay mode, but we want fans to know that we’ve got so much more in store for them,” said Neil Young, the founder and chief executive of N3twork, which developed this version. “This is just the foundation of an incredible Tetris app experience we’re building at N3twork.”
Last year, N3twork and The Tetris Co. announced that Tetris Royale would be coming to iOS and Android. The game, currently in beta, is essentially a mobile adaptation of 2019’s acclaimed Tetris 99 for Nintendo Switch (developed by Arika and Nintendo), a battle-royale-ified version of the original game where groups of 100 players compete to be the last player still knocking out blocks.
On Wednesday, in a statement posted to the App Store, EA said its Tetris 2011 and Tetris Blitz games would be retired on April 21. Until then, players may still play the game and use any in-game items they’ve acquired.
Source: Read Full Article